Saturday, June 2, 2012

First (annual?) Family Vacation

As I type we are in the van on our way to spend a week under the same roof with my parents, my three siblings and their spouses, and the seven children we have between us! My daugter is the oldest of the cousins at a fresh 5-years-old; there are two 2 and 1/2-year-olds (actually born only four days apart - we couldn't have planned that if we tried); a fresh one-year-old; and three babes: eight months, four months and two and a half months. Are you picturing the amount of stuff we are bringing to this six bedroom house? Seriously. Five vehicles (all Toyotas, so the driveway will look like a commercial). Four pack and plays. Three baby gates. Two high chairs. One baby swing. One play mat. Countless coolers of food. Suitcase upon suitcase. Toys, water bottles, sippy cups, baby bottles. Sunscreen, sun tent to pitch on the beach in order to provide shade for the babies. Do you think all four baby monitors are going to work? Games and movies for the adults since we won't be leaving the house too often with naps and bedtimes. I could go on and on. I don't really care how many excursions we go on; we are here to make memories. And good or bad, I'm sure we will do just that. My family is AMAZING. PHENOMENAL. So amazing, that it was actually my brother-in-law who pushed for this family vacation. We get along so well, always have things to talk about, and laugh a lot together. I feel so blessed. And my siblings and I want our children to have fond memories with their cousins. My parents joke that they have a room reserved at the local hotel, but they will be in their element. Here's how we have survived the car ride with our three little ones: 1. snacks - gluten free of course (apple bars, veggie chips, fruit, nuts, larabars etc) 2. busy bags (from a recent swap - more on that later!) 3. music (my kids love Seeds Family Worship songs, and I love not having to worry about whether the lyrics are appropriate) Well, 20 minutes to go and my babe is screaming. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment